Overcoming Mould - is it a spore spot?29 September, 2015 in
We all know what it’s like trying to keep our homes free of mould, especially during the Wet here in Darwin!
Follow the below tips to help keep your home mould-free!
Problem: Mould on walls
What you need: Oil of cloves, bucket, spray bottle soft cloth or sponge.
Simply mix 1/4 teaspoon of clove oil (don't use more - its very powerful) to 1 liter of water as a mold killer and remover.
Spray mixture on mould and leave overnight. The clove oil actually kills the spores rather than just turning them white like harsh bleaches. The next day, come back and clean the area with a baking soda and white vinegar combination and you are done!
Tips to minimising future mould and mildew:
- Always dry shoes, bags, coats, umbrellas and luggage before putting them away in a well-ventilated rather than airtight cupboard
- Store linen and clothing in airy cupboards
- Use dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to help reduce the moisture in your home. Be especially vigilant during the Wet!
- Fix plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
- Do what you can to prevent rain water from seeping into your home. Check potential problem areas regularly.
- Clean the fabrics in your home routinely and keep them dry.
- Store items in dry, well-ventilated areas
Remember – if it’s too late – toss out!!
If the mould on your fabric, carpet, furniture or other items is beyond help, don’t hesitate to throw out. Don’t risk the potential health issues mould can pose to you and your family!
- Written by Suse Forrest of Vdesigned